What Are You Currently Playing?

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by VongolaGearX, Oct 26, 2013.

1. MrDetective

MrDetective Member

- Made my way to Pendragon. Had a fight with Sergei yesterday and dude gave me more trouble than I thought. Damn you, when I hit you, stay staggered. Don't keep throwing attacks at me. XD Well, hidden artes managed to do the job eventually.
    - Got to the part when Dezel chased after Rose. At this point, I can't go back inside the inn or outside the city. And there were no other save points, so I had to resort to using quick save instead. This was quite a strange oversight. Not a big deal, but still annoying.
    - By the way, technically the people in the inn can't see seraphims. So Rose and Sorey ordered food for 6 people in total. Did no one find it weird that the food in the other 4 bowls suddenly disappear even though there were only 2 people eating? :rolleyes: Surely they have waitstaff checking on their guests. And when Rose left, Sorey was all by himself talking to the seraphims. I am surprised no one came to ask if he was mentally insane.
    - Edna is quickly becoming another one of my favorite characters in Tales. :cool:

Well, I think Zestiria is popular, but for the wrong reasons. But then again, I've only heard of its infamous reputation mostly because of the controversy around the story mode and Alisha. I am only at level 20 or so, so at this point, I can't really comment on anything yet. :rolleyes: As for the equipments, I found that quite often, the new stuff available in the shop have lower stats than the ones that I fused. Either they are straight up inferior, or have a mix of lower and higher stats for different paradigms. Having to check every single one does feel a bit tiring, though. XD

Xillia has the best battle system in the franchise even up until this point, I think. Of course, others might find disagree. It also helped that the enemy AI in that game was kinda... dumb, so you probably had an easier time plowing through the story. And if you played as Jude, welp, dude was like a gender bender fusion of Sophie and Cheria on crack. :p It was my first Tales game, and I can already tell that he was the most OP characters in any game I've played so far. :D

Who is this new character? Mary? I don't think they changed the story or anything...?
    I think Erin's voice fits Nowaru-chan Chie's explosive personality more than the old one. ;)

2. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Ha ha, yeah...I always play as Jude. I keep intending to go and do a Milla playthrough, but once I start it, I just miss playing as Jude too much. Plus Xillia 1 actually looks pretty bad, now, and doesn't run nearly as smoothly as the more recent games. Not that that's strange, but I'm the type who gets spoiled by cleaner graphics and smoother mechanics in new versions and then has a hard time going back to replay older ones because if it. Even though it's my favourite Tales game.

It'd be awesome if the new Tales game (whenever they finally give us a title for it...I really hope they show us something of significance at this year's Tales Festival.) could finally push Xillia out of my top spot, but so far, it's my favourite by a large margin. Though I've only played Berseria once...I really should play it again. (I sometimes get a different impression of long games my second time through.)

MrDetective likes this.
  3. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

People didn't like Zesteria's skill system and whatnot really either.
    The main thing was there weren't really any real redeeming qualities to it in any department, it was mostly kinda eh at its best, and it frequently wasn't at its best.

MrDetective likes this.
  4. Ryos

Ryos Active Member

Yeah, Marie. Don't think there's anything too major past the intro (my guess, I mean, considering I'm just past the first dungeon), but that intro change was too much for me. New Chie is starting to warm up to me (last scene I saw is definitely a lot better than I remember old Chie's being) but I'm not sold on her yet.

I played a couple games for quick check just to make sure weather didn't cause issues, not enough to say a whole lot other than...

Death end re;quest: Holy crap, that warning before the game isn't just for show. I think I'm just about done with the prologue and
    we've already got gore - seriously, that first scene's already hitting the worst Corpse Party standards with ZERO buildup - and blasphemy up the wazoo. A lot of games have a less than positive view of religion but there've already been multiple damnations of God, Buddha, and the game hasn't even really started yet. Seriously guys, if this is supposed to be a game, I don't think the stakes are quite that dire? Maybe later down the road but lol what.

MrDetective likes this.
  5. zerokid2

zerokid2 Member

Just finished zone of the enders: The fist of mars, it was really satisfying.

6. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

Nice! Did that game ever get ported off the GBA?

zerokid2 likes this.
  7. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

Still been playing through Resident Evil 2. So far I've finished both Leon routes, and Claire route A. Planning on doing Claire B, then attempting a normal difficulty S run with either of the two, haven't decided yet. Then gotta nail Hunk mode, and the DLC. Doubt I'll ever go for a Hardcore S run, but we'll see!

Also picked up Hatsune Miku Future Tone, and I've really enjoyed it! It's a little more difficult than other rhythm games due to the strange way the prompts come in, but I've been liking it a lot!

8. MrDetective

MrDetective Member

- Oh god. Finally made it to the village of Gododdin. XO I was spending an hour or so wandering around the cave to look for that crystal ball thing. Damn, enemies in this cave were also pretty tough at times and they managed to KO my other party members several times. And even with all those extra level ups, I still struggled somewhat with the mini boss outside. I can't imagine how harder it would have been if I just walked out the cave instead of grinding. :eek:
    - I don't know for what reason but my party members seem to be taking huge amount of damage and getting KO a little too often. If it wasn't for amartization I would have ran out of the last few life bottles I have. I can't babysit them all the time, and there is no Cheria or Elize to heal everyone. o_O Good thing Edna just unlocked her Healing Circle, so hopefully she'll be the team's healer.
    - Doesn't help that most enemies are weak to fire or earth, so Meebo is usually out of the party. Dezel is a decent back up.
    - Why the hell can't I use healing item if I have burn status ailments? :mad:
    - What the heck are those underground ruins that you have to go in solo? I managed to beat one with Sorey. Found another one today for Laiah. Many times when I attack an enemy I would end up getting hurt first instead. The hell? This reminds me of Tekken. I hit you first, so how did I take damage instead? Damn you game! :mad: Gonna have to save this one for later.
    - Also, kind of annoying how I can accidentally trigger a story cutscene before I can talk to all my party members.

Forgot to mention this, but I also feel like the music is pretty similar to Graces f's music. The battle track sounds like it was remixed from an old Graces f's battle theme. I can't remember the name, but I am sure I have heard it before. :confused:

I remember Xillia's graphics were... pretty questionable. By that, I mean while it doesn't look like a bad game, it wasn't exactly pleasant looking, either. Perhaps the darker overall color, compared to Graces f, didn't help it. Some areas looked good, though. Berseria came out 2 years ago, so maybe they are working on a new project already. I just hope they have a bigger budget this time around. Their cutscene animation can use some improvements. :rolleyes:

Unlike you guys, I don't play RPG games more than once. I can't finish games that fast. Xillia was an exception. I played through the game twice with both characters,with new game plus. I think I spent about than 120 hours playing. The combat system was just that fun. :p

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  9. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

It wasn't so much that it looked bad, for me...it was that the movement became...I'm not sure how to describe it. At times they seemed to suddenly move way too slowly, or skip a frame or something. Just here and there. Otherwise I still think it looks pretty decent. So I guess it's the smoothness of the animation that bothers me. Not sure if that's the right way to put it, though.

I play my faves over and over, lol. Xenoblade (1st), Xillia and Cold Steel...lots of plays for all of those in particular :) I think games I love that much spoil me for most other games and then they're all I want to play.

10. zerokid2

zerokid2 Member

Nope, but it would be nice to see future ports of zoe 1 to include it. Currently messing around with travis strikes again dlc.

11. MrDetective

MrDetective Member

- Finally completed the fire trial dungeon. Man, this dungeon confused me a bit. All the sections of this dungeon looked so similar to each other, so I got lost a few times while trying to navigate through it. Sometimes, I forgot which area I've been to and had to backtrack again. It doesn't help that the dungeon was unnecessary big for no reason. I've noticed the same thing with other areas as well. They are very spacious, but there's not much going on or anything worth noticing at all. Towns are fine, though. Not sure if this has something to do with the transition to combat or not, but I really wish they would have trimmed back the unused space. o_O
    - The music is this dungeon is quite good, I think. When I first checked the map, it reminds me of the old fire trial dungeon from Symphonia 1.
    - The boss... I didn't know I was supposed to touch the four monoliths to weaken the boss. :rolleyes: I kept trying 4-5 times in vain until I read the dialogue + check walkthrough to know what I must do.
    - This dude was still pretty tough to beat after all that. I was giving up after he KO'ed me and my seraphim, leaving the other one controlled by CPU. I switched to that one, ready to just take the hits and die. :oops: The CPU switched out the other KO'ed seraphim and fused with Rose to revive her. After like 10-15 seconds horsing around, I decided to just keep trying. Interestingly, I tagged out Dezel for Lailah again to see that her health has recovered to maximum. Same with Meebo when I tagged out Edna. I was shocked because I didn't think they can recover that fast. :eek: Managed to beat him with some difficulty, but the battle felt easier after that for whatever reason. Not exactly a proud way to win, but a lucky victory is still a victory, I guess. :confused:

Strange. I never felt anything odds about movement in Xillia or Graces f. Smoother than Symphonia or Hearts R for sure. :p

12. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I was only speaking of Xillia; I don't know if Graces had that issue. I played Graces f but don't remember anything finding anything sticky about the movement. I'm currently playing Hearts R and not having any trouble with movement at all...in Xillia once in a while it'd be like the characters were moving through glue or something that just...slowed them down. Or like they'd been shifted to slow motion, just for a second. Not sure how to explain the odd hitch I sometimes see when moving the characters around the fields, I just know it grabbed my attention years later, after I got used to having that never happen in Xillia 2, Zestiria or Berseria.

I couldn't play Symphonia at all, though I tried it. I just can't go backwards like that, to play games that are already years old. Newer, smoother mechanics and better graphics ruin me for older stuff. Even childhood nostalgia can't reconcile me to the way Kings Quest I looked if I try to play it now, even though it's what defined the direction my tastes in gaming developed right from the beginning. This is also why I can't play a lot of older Harvest Moon games, in part. I absolutely loved A New Beginning, it's my favourite, but if I go to it after playing Trio of Towns, the mechanics feel slow and awkward.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  13. Gintoki

Gintoki Active Member

After getting the platinum in Resident Evil 2, I was craving some more Leon action, so I dusted off the PS3 and played through RE4, which lead to me realizing there's a game I downloaded and then never got around to. Until DMC5, I've got some spare game time, so I'm now playing Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army. This game has vibes for days!

14. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

Rocksmith progress is slow, but the important thing is that it's undeniably there. I've developed a method that seems to be working for me toward getting comfortable with the instrument. Still room for improvement though, tomorrow I'll add rhythm arranges into my sessions and not just leads. I want to dabble in bass arranges too, but that's not a priority and my (lack of) callouses currently limit my play/practice time.

Ordered some new strings. Want to string up my old guitar to learn how to do that and set it up properly.

15. banballow

banballow Well-Known Member

My Girlfriend is a Mermaid!?

Just so we're clear, these screens don't actually go back to back, although they're funnier that way.
    I just have to point out...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    10 years...
    ... you left the lights on...
    ... for 10 years!!

I don't know what to focus on... the fact that you left the lights on for 10 years? The fact that none of the neighbors complained that you left the lights on for 10 years? That the power company didn't realize "Hey... nobody lives there, maybe we should shut it off?" for 10 years? That the lights haven't burnt out after 10 years?!

16. Gintoki

Gintoki Active Member

Immersion broke!

17. banballow

banballow Well-Known Member

I'm about 11h into Steins;Gate Elite on the Switch, and I'm only into Chapter 3.
    While the anime scenes are okay, I still wish I had the option to use the old sprites. I just find that style charming.
    Also, one minor complaint. Pretty sure this is the only Visual Novel I've run across on Switch so far that requires the Joy-Con. No touch screen support. :(

Also, played some more Girlfriend is a Mermaid!?. I've met my second mermaid. I have a sneaking suspicion as to their identity, though they don't recall who they are, and are currently going by an alias given to them by the MC.

18. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

Single player or online?

19. MrDetective

MrDetective Member

- Defeated Medusa lady ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) and the Dirt Leech. Now, I'm still doing some sidequests and have yet to move on to the main quest.
    - I'm glad the party hasn't forgotten Alisha yet. XD
    - Ventured into an area with massive domain power and had to run with my tail between my legs. :confused: They actually did a good job with the screen effect, though. Pretty creepy.
    - Just finally be able to beat Lailah's crucible trial. Seriously, I want the finger of whoever was in charge of this area. :mad: I was at level 39, and still used up almost all of my healing items before I finally defeated all the enemies. The monsters are not exactly hard, but fighting against them as Lailah, and solo on top of that, was a nightmare. For some stupid reason her attacks have a delay before they inflict damage on the enemies. So even when I thought I got a hit on an enemy, they still managed to hurt and stun me. :eek: It doesn't help that she seems to be the slowest attacking character in the game.
    Worse is that if a spell is stopped, it has to be recasted from the beginning. Hopefully there will be a skill that lets you continue casting where you stopped. Sheesh. Trying to get some hits on those damn monsters only to get hurt first was infuriating. Damn you, game! Even with spamming side steps and some quick martial artes, it took me 3-4 tries to finally complete it. I better get a decent reward after beating all these damn trials. o_O

That's funny, because Xillia 2 is almost identical to 1's battle system. And if you used Jude and still felt the movement being strange, I don't know what the issue could be. :D

Biggest mystery of the game. Well, did they ever explain this? :p

20. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

As mentioned in my previous post, I wasn't talking about battle movements, but about moving around the field :) Just walking around, particularly in areas where there were lots of monsters present, I'd sometimes get a slow-down. It's not like it's a problem, but it being something that grabbed my attention illustrates what I was saying about me being the type who has trouble going back to play older games after player newer, smoother, spiffier ones, even if the older one is my favourite. When I go back to Xillia now, after playing PS4 Tales games, I find the first Xillia is showing its age a little, is all. Even though it remains my favourite by far. (Honestly without contest. I've never liked another Tales even close to as much as Xillia, tbh. Though I'm always hoping the next one will be the one to take Xillia's top spot.)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019