What Are You Currently Playing?

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by VongolaGearX, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Currently playing Tales of Hearts R, and actually liking it :) Though I'm only about a third of the way through.

I know it's an almost universally unpopular Tales game, but I actually loved a lot of the Zestiria folks. And the battle system was really easy to get the hang of, for me, though that may be what makes it less popular. It normally takes me most of any Tales game to finally get the hang of the whole battle system, lol...but not so with Zestiria. (And another unpopular opinion of mine: I prefer the instrumental version of White Light that they used for Zestiria over the original Japanese lyric version. It's actually my favourite Tales intro song ever.)

AttentionDeficitGuy likes this.
  2. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

A couple friends of mine have been super into Apex, thus I've been playing that with them. It's been alright. Battle royale still isn't my genre of choice, but I've enjoyed it enough! I do like it more than some of the alternatives, feels a little more polished and smooth. And it doesn't have the building element which I couldn't stand.

3. Gintoki

Gintoki Active Member

Got sucked back in to Monster Hunter World for Appreciation Fest and catching up on a few things I missed, and then started the demo for Daemon x Machina last night.

4. MrDetective

MrDetective Member

Hearts R is a decent game. Not very good but not too bad either. But I still can't get over how they butchered the name for no reason.
    "My name is Shingu."
    *Subtitle shows Kor Meteor."
    Man, they need to ban cocaine in workplace. :rolleyes:

I have heard a lot of bad things about Zestiria. Well, I am cautious for whatever might be coming. But so far, the game seems fine to me. The core mechanic screams "Graces f + Symphonia" but with some, eh, perhaps questionable tweaks. The camera doesn't seem to function as well as the previous games, though. I might try to play around with the setting a little.
    I mean the instrumental is not bad by any means, but it was strange how they couldn't use the actual vocal version like any other Tales games. :eek:

Mikleo is an interesting character. It's not very often that we see a male yandere + tsundere + yaoi-ish character. Heheheh. :D

Some questions I have: about those titles for the character, I maxed out a title already, but it still says "next arte is X". So am I supposed to stick with it until the arte is unlocked or move to the next one?
    If I fuse two equipments together, and both have a slot with extra buffs, will they be combined? Or are they replaced with another skill entirely? :confused:

5. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

You can do whichever you like; I don't think there's a 'supposed to' in there. I think the title changes how the points you earn on leveling up are allocated, changing which arte you'll learn first while using that title. But even with a mastered title on, you'll continue to learn more artes until you've learned them all, I believe. Or...that's my understanding, anyway. I didn't fuss too much with titles, so I'm not sure. This thread has some interesting information on titles.

As for weapon fusion...ugh. I never understood it a bit. I often see THIS VIDEO pointed out to people who are looking to do so, though.

Sorry I can't really help. :( I'm one of those people who just plays for the story and character development and just bumbles through the combat however she can. That's what I liked about Zestiria...it was really easy to figure out the combat. (The weapon fusion is ridiculously complicated, though.)

6. zerokid2

zerokid2 Member

Was on my second playthrough of vesperia but the game has hard freezes and it's put me off from playing it. Tackled a few more songs in Dancing All Night.

7. Gintoki

Gintoki Active Member

Played through the Ghost Survivors dlc for RE2. A bit less interesting than what I was hoping for, but it's free dlc, so I can't complain. Still had fun with it.

8. Gintoki

Gintoki Active Member

Daemon x Machina. Mech customization, flying, guns and swords and missiles...Boxes ticked! Hype levels rising above safety parameters. My body wasn't ready, but then I installed a bunch of weird machine shit in place of organic material, and the prep is in place!

9. Tsukoblue

Tsukoblue Member

I’m between playing through all four Rune Factories or get Final Fantasy V on my PS3

10. banballow

banballow Well-Known Member

Me: I really need to go home and finish reading Planetarian.
    Also Me: *Comes home and turns on animated version of Planetarian*
    Also, Also Me: You're doing it wrong!!

11. Gintoki

Gintoki Active Member

I've begun to stumble my way through Zero no Kiseki Evolution.

zerokid2 likes this.
  12. MrDetective

MrDetective Member

Zestiria: Recruited Edna and... lost Alisha again. :eek: When I first met Edna, I though I was supposed to fight that dragon.

Party: We need to escape!
    Game: *battle initiated*
    Me: Uh, what? Am I supposed to fight or run away?
    Welp. Seeing someone OHK was enough of a hint for me get out of there.

I'm starting to get used to switching characters and seraphims during battle. Still has yet to figure out which button to tag out a seraphim for another.
    Had a bit of a difficulty spike in the museum. I was running out of healing items and my party kept getting KO'ed. Alisha had the highest health and attack but she often went down before anyone else. Strange. But glad I stuck with the difficulty and pulled through. :p
    Also, I just realized that in this game, you must eat something before you can rest at the inn. This confused me for a bit when the game told me to rest at the inn, yet, when I went to the inn there wasn't an option for me to rest.

What the heck was going on at 25:10? I was confused as to what Edna meant when she said Sorey couldn't see.

Which bugged me: how do you continue learning a new arte if your title has already maxed out? :rolleyes:

Well, I don't quite get it, either. Seems like there's some sort of... really complicated mathematical process to determine what skill you are going to end up with. I think I'll just combine stuff together to get higher stats, at least for the time being. Another thing I am not very clear of is those stacks and bonus skills. I understand that you get extra stats if you have all 5 vertical slots filled out. I forgot what they were saying about the horizontal line... But I guess the basic is to just filled up as many slots as you can. XD I think instead of having about 3 skits going through this, they should make a tutorial section that shows you exactly how things work. Final Fantasy 13 guides you by showing you. This game just have you read, and unfortunately the description can sometimes be confusing.

13. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Yeah, actually I think the bewildering system of upgrades, titles and slotted bonuses is one of the reasons Zestiria is less popular. (Though I honestly love the cast.) Some people think they have made sense of them, but even those who feel they have sometimes seem to disagree with each other on how they actually work, LOL. I just try to get as many bonuses lit up as I can, and I equip whatever title seems to be giving me the best bonuses at that moment, and then plough ahead. I never did upgrade my weapons much at all...I just bought newer, better ones, for the most part, and continued on with the story. Story-players like me tend to toss the game mechanics out the window if they start to interfere with progress, lol, and just put the battle difficulty on easy. (Though I enjoyed battle in Xillia. I'm not sure why just that one.)

14. Ryos

Ryos Active Member

Probably missing some games but you're going to have to live with the abbreviated update. (D: )

XBC 2: Did I really not post about this at all while playing it? I don't see it. Well, I can't do justice in summarizing 170 hours or so of the game and Torna DLC in a couple sentences, but it definitely exceeded my expectations (admittedly, waiting on almost a year of post-launch support - that shouldn't have been necessary - probably helped a lot). First Switch game completed and I was pretty happy overall. While it's definitely a typical Takahashi rushed end experience, it addressed a lot of the key shortfalls of X (still nowhere near the first XBC, but I don't know if that lightning in a bottle will ever happen). I haven't played New Game+ yet but dabbled with the sub long enough to hear that the dub is far better overall despite some missed dub performances here and there (I do appreciate having the choice) - barring a very particular scene that glaringly shows how the dub differentiated from the original (I thought most of the changes were fine - no major controversy like X, at any rate).

Phantasy Star 0: I tried playing this a number of years ago for about an hour and it kind of struck me as being very basic at the time. Now that I've gone through a whole path including all the quests other than that nutso last one thanks to how the save system works, I can say it is without a doubt the most primitive game of the spinoff series (and by far worse than the PSP games released at the time). Can't see me coming back to it, but you never know.

.hack//GU Last Recode: Did everything. I guess I was almost done with the PS2 trilogy when I gave up on it for some reason, but I will say I really liked some of the quality of life updates. Although the last volume is by far the shortest, I also felt it was by far the best...minus a complete lack of postgame.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice: Only about an hour in. Was planning to play more but I'm massively stuck on a puzzle and don't really feel like hitting up a FAQ just yet. Liking the main sticking point of the game (and will say it was worth picking up on sale for this reason), not so sure I'm a fan of the gameplay as a whole.

SMT IV: And I think I can see why I put this on hold way back when. That intro dungeon is nuts messed up balance. I guess it'll get better over time once I start getting some levels to make up for not having any way to bulk up characters like most of the series. At least MC's death doesn't mean game over considering most regular attacks at this point 1-2 hit kill. o_O

Persona 4 Golden: About 11 hours in. I started on Hard and...yeah, that might have been a mistake. I just remember the original game being so easy that I went to the hardest (practical) difficulty. I'm finishing up building up some HP/MP to make my way through the first dungeon to the final boss since I basically have to this run since I was waiting until a good day with nothing going on. Definitely not feeling the new character - a bit too anime (for lack of a better adjective at this point) for my tastes. The mechanic associated with her, though, is undoubtedly going to make this game broken in the long run - and I do enjoy breaking games. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the new VAs and am still not at this point - particularly Erin Fitzgerald. I generally haven't liked her in anything, and while she has the experience to cover a lot of the lines significantly better than Tracey Rooney did, I just don't like Fitzgerald's voice (Alkaid is one of the biggest miscasts I can think of).

15. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

Rocksmith is actually fun if you play songs and don't just do the lessons. Playing songs seems like it's actually balanced to ease you into the game and the instrument. Lessons are not, some of the practice riffs are way too hard for someone just starting.

Melee will never not be fun. This is a week old now but still :cool:
    [​IMG]

16. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

Does Rocksmith teach bass?

17. Chaosblade77

Yes. I have a (very pretty) bass too but I'm not really getting into it yet.

Worth noting that it does not support 5 strings natively though. You can still use one since the EADG strings are the same on four or five string basses, and you could even incorporate the low B string since the game just goes by sound. I mention that because my bass is 5 string.

And if you get it on PC, you can download custom DLC (CDLC) and there are some songs that use workarounds to incorporate 5 string bass.

Someone did Dreaming from the Collected Ys Music album, I downloaded that specifically for the bass. They said it's hard though :S

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  18. DustyStarr

Cool thanks! I have a 4 string so I should be good, I would rather play the PS3 version, unless the PC one is a LOT superior than console.

19. Chaosblade77

If you have 2014, there aren't any differences in the base game. DLC never goes on sale on consoles, but goes on sale regularly on PC. With a modded console PS3 can use CDLC too, and even then the selection is much more limited than what's available for PC.

20. DustyStarr

I see, sounds like the PC is more affordable and a bit better, I will have to think... Rocksmith is one of those I really want to get to... but I have like no time for a game like it atm... one day though, one day... graduate in 4 weeks... which is terrifying. X3