What Are You Currently Playing?

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by VongolaGearX, Oct 26, 2013.

1. MrDetective

MrDetective Member

The Evil Within: On chapter 3 right now, and I am very disappointed in what I have seen so far. Does this game get better later on, because I am thinking of asking for a refund. o_O

I started the game last night, and I just got to chapter 3, the part after you enter the gate. Honestly, I am severely disappointed with what I have played so far. Right off the bat, the game throws me into a stealth section which is hampered by a crappy camera angle. Normally, the camera is not an issue, but it sticks too close to the character's shoulder during stealth movement that I can't see anything else. Took me quite some time to get past the first section. It's like the developer took some inspiration from SOCOM or Metal Gear, but failed to pull it off. Oh, and that pointless forced walking. Sorry, but I just finished playing The Order 1886, so I am more sensitive to games that force me to walk for no good reason.

I can't use my knife to kill enemies in this game besides stealth kills? Enemies in this game, so far, are like bullet sponges and shooting or punching doesn't seem to do much damage. I'm still struggling to find a good path to sneak behind enemies and kill them. And sometimes, I run straight into a trap while being chased by an enemy. I feel like these zombies, or whatever they are, seem like they could be blind sometimes, but not always. Not really liking the clunky feel of the movements, either. Not sure how to describe it, not awful, but it's not as smooth as other games.
    Oh, and the game crashed twice in just one hour. The hell? :eek:

I was expecting the game to be scary when I first started. But after one hour or so, I was already thinking of getting a refund. Sorry, but you can't creep me out if you put me to sleep. I bought it last month, along with the DLCs, so I'm not sure if I can still get a refund. If the game gets better later on, eh, I might try to stomach it. But nothing has impressed me so far.

Man... Glad I started this before Zestiria. :rolleyes:

How does it compare to the old RE games, like 4-5, or other horror games? Were the puzzles difficult? :confused:

2. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

Yeah I'm waiting on GeoFront, they just updated their page like two days ago. I'm just wondering after that, who is going to handle Ao? Or is there already a fan translation in the works? Honestly, hoping NISA can get this figured out if they're going to be handling the franchise from now on. Especially seeing as they have more money than XSEED, could be easier for them to make it profitable. But that's all a big maybe.

3. banballow

banballow Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, given that PM Studios is the publisher for the NA release, they will have to update the game separate from the eShop release. Currently, there is no update available though.

Also, it finally unlocked, I can finally get going...
    ... who's that Pokémon?!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's Miss Jena!!

One of my favorite VNs, on the Switch baby!!

Planetarian
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

I think most of Geofront is going to work on that after Zero, Zerker said he is planning on working on it. Floofy and Gu4n said they don't intend to be involved though.

5. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

Replay the Sky Trilogy on PC, by then the Geofront translation of Zero will be out... I am beginning to see the imperfections of the current fan TL, but its still manageable so far.

6. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

That's what I'm doing. Hope the Geofront patch is finished in time for me to finish Zero and Ao by the time CS3 comes out...

7. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Well Ao definitely won't be, but I've heard the rough version that's available now is a lot better than the unedited Zero translation.

8. AttentionDeficitGuy

Oh, yeah, Ao is gonna be the current fan translation for sure, but from what I hear it's better than the current Zero patch by a significant margin.

9. AnimeGamer183

Oh you should have been there in the Falcom Discord today when I discovered the character named "Midget" and Ribrose was doing back flips. Zero seems to need geofronts attention for multiple reasons from what i understand, even down to game optimization, Geofront are doing ALOT. I am sure I will check out their work later, once its out anyway, but I have been too hyped and cant live with myself not having played Crossbell or any of the Cold Steel games, CS3 announcement was it, I had to get the ball rolling to get caught up. Hopefully I can play Zero and Ao this year and we'll see about Cold Steel 1 maybe.

10. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what fantasy land ya'll come from but replaying 40 hour JRPGs is hard for me with my current schedule. X3 I'll probs just get a 100% save like Chaos mentioned, I did every side quest in FC so should be about the same.

11. AnimeGamer183

Well your current schedule sounds STUPID and is a big fat POOPY HEAD! x3

But yeah, you arent far behind me, and it would probably be best to do something about getting further along in the series before CS3 comes out. Which is why I want to get done with Zero while its still early in the year.

And as far as the translation goes, im more or lessed used to translations like these given my history from the old days and early 2000s. In fact its actually bringing back playing a game of this style that looks like a PS1 game with shotty translations like we used to always get back then anyway, its oddly kind of nostalgic for the old days.

12. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

Oh I definitely agree I hate it. X3 Last quarter it made my overall anxiety level go way high, I was not mentally healthy and it made me live unhealthier... this schedule is worse, but overall I am handling it better... so far. The next couple weeks are going o be trying, and I am not sure when the next day off I will have will be... last quarter though. Then I can just work and have more time to do my own things.

I have no illusions about getting CSIII at launch, or any time soon. X3 Hell I own the first one and it's still sealed. Schedule and the SC issue were the main things holding me back, so soon maybe I can go back to he series, though as far as RPGs go I have others on my priority list. I used to be super into the series with FC but that wait for SC killed a lot of my interest.

13. AttentionDeficitGuy

You folks should just try being financially unable to get new games - then you'll always have time to replay old ones! /s

14. Gintoki

Gintoki Active Member

So many questions, lol.
    I did both A's and Leon's B so far.

Games like this take me longer than most people, so my first run through as Leon took about 9 hours, but I've read that the average is about 6 hours per run. I think that seems about on par with the usual Resident Evil (4 kind of dragged a bit towards the end so that's an exception)

That's sort of a tough question. It's definitely an evolution of 4 in regards to it being 3rd person, but since just taking 2 and removing fixed cameras would make a game that'd be too easy, they do things that make you still have to play it the way you'd play the old ps1 games. Instead of fixed cameras, you have areas where the only light is your flashlight, the ammo is limited and the zombies can be bullet sponges, so trying to clear out areas can be wasteful, but you can take out their limbs to force them to crawl and stuff. There are knives, but they've got a limited durability, so you can slash like you would in 4, but it's best to just do it to see if a zombie you downed is actually dead. Since the demo availability ended yesterday you can't try that anymore, but the best thing I can suggest would be looking up a playthrough of the demo on youtube for a bit of a taste of what it's actually like. The puzzles,hmm, I'm not much for puzzles, but I didn't have too much trouble with them.

MrDetective likes this.
  15. Gintoki

Gintoki Active Member

And now I've moved on to KHIII, or as I call it, "How Do I Hold All These Xehanorts?!"

16. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

The best description someone had of old Resi puzzles was they're more like point-and-click adventure style puzzles as you have figure out what you can do in this room, and if any items or clues there aid you in solving something in a different room (or screen, as those games would be like).

17. Gintoki

Gintoki Active Member

There's a good variety of puzzles, I'd say, and yes, some of them do involve finding a room in which you can't do something without finding certain items elsewhere, and some that are a mix of both of those things. A very basic (and bit too easy imo) example for someone who has played Resi 4 is the room with the sword door thingie, where you have to find the swords that go in the spots, but in RE2, it's like you have to go find that stuff, and when you're putting it in, then have to solve a puzzle to finish it. It's hard to describe without spoiling it.

18. Cryrobinson

I imagine it's probably a bit much. That, and the constant pestering by fans is probably getting on their nerves somewhat. :p I've definitely seen a lot of badgering here and there on Twitter.

19. Cryrobinson

9 hours isn't bad! I'm a very explore-heavy player, and I tend to look over each area as much as possible (the one shot was barely finished before the time, cause I wanted to see everything)!

20. Gintoki

Gintoki Active Member

Any run after your first will probably be shorter though, as you have a better idea of where to go and what to do. The combinations for safes and dial locks also remain the same so once you've found them in the first playthrough, if you remember them,you can skip hunting for the codes.

Though, some things are slightly different in the B runs.

MrDetective likes this.