Utawarerumono Zan

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Minneyar, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Minneyar

Minneyar New Member

First, I know that Atlus already localized Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception and Mask of Truth, the second and third games in this trilogy of visual novels, and they did a fantastic job of it. I really hope that they decide to localize both the remake of the original game, Utawarerumono: Chiriyukusha e no Komoriuta, and the upcoming action game, Utawarerumono Zan. However, one of the lead editors and a major proponent for Utawarerumono, Patrick S., left Atlus after MoT was complete; we don't know how well the VNs sold; and Atlus hasn't announced anything about either game, so right now it's completely unknown whether Atlus is working on or planning to work on either of them.

With that in mind, I think that Utawarerumono Zan would be a good opportunity for XSEED:

It's a musou-style game that is being developed by Tamsoft, the developers of the Senran Kagura games that XSEED already has experience with. Thanks to the 2006 anime series and the Mask games, Utawarerumono already has a small but dedicated English fan base, and I think there's potential for the series to have a strong appeal to Trails fans; both of them are fantasy stories with a heavy emphasis on world building, character development, and wild plot twists, and I have personally talked to several people who are already fans of both. As an action game, it will probably have far less text than any of the VNs, and so it'll be a far easier script to translate. Plus, since Patrick S. is freelance now, I'll bet it'd be pretty easy to convince him to work on the game and make sure it's consistent with the existing ones.

Anyway, like I said, I really hope Atlus picks up the games (I have already expressed my desire to them), and I'm not encouraging XSEED to step on anybody's toes -- but I know that XSEED is also frequently the last line of defense for smaller Japanese games that nobody else would consider translating, so this might make a lot of sense if Atlus decides to pass on it!

nivora and PasokonDeacon like this.
  2. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

If XSEED could get work with Patrick S. to give us this and the remake of the first game, I would be ecstatic. He helped make the English versions of Mask of Deception and Mask of Truth into masterpieces.

3. KlausRealta

KlausRealta Well-Known Member

I'd rather Atlus get a hold of those games, but if they can't or John Morales from Atlus can't work on them, I would support XSEED looking into it. I hear amazing things about Mask of Deception and Mask of Truth, but I'm holding off on playing them since I would like to play the first game's remake first.

4. Minneyar

Minneyar New Member

That's understandable, but I feel like that's also a bit self-defeating, kind of like back when people were refusing to buy Trails in the Sky FC because XSEED hadn't announced SC. The best way to convince Atlus (or anybody else) to pick up the remake is for the Mask games to sell well, and the 2006 anime is a perfectly good adaptation of the original game's story.

AttentionDeficitGuy likes this.
  5. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

The anime is what introduced me to the series. Can't say how it is as an adaptation (obviously) but as an anime... well, I accidentally binged it over a 24 hour period.

So yeah, @KlausRealta, I can definitely recommend watching the anime of the first game first to get some context before starting the sequels. The original version is on Crunchyroll and A.D.V.'s dub is on Funimation (which is a solid early 2000s dub, definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of anime dubs from that period) if you wanna check it out.

That being said... I dunno, I kind of think you don't even need to know the original story to appreciate Mask of Deception/Truth. It's one of those where I can't really say definitively, since I did know the original's story going in, but references to the original are mainly callbacks and a few returning characters, with the new games following a new protagonist and mostly taking place in a different part of the setting. I guess one or two twists might come somewhat out of nowhere without context that the original provides as well, now that I think of it.

6. Minneyar

Minneyar New Member

I'd say you don't have to be familiar with the original to play the Mask games -- I've known people who weren't and still enjoyed them -- but the opening to Mask of Deception spoils a big twist at the end of the original, and I think the ending of Mask of Truth has a much stronger emotional impact if you're familiar with all of the original characters.

I've played through the original PC game and am working on Chiriyukusha now, and the anime really is a good adaptation, way better than most series based on VNs. It cuts out some slice of life stuff for time constraints, and obviously it cuts out all of the sex since the original was an eroge, but it gets all of the major plot points right. There are only two minor things that it cut, presumably because they were very minor in the original and they had no way of knowing they'd be relevant in the sequel: (minor Utawarerumono ending spoilers)
    Hakuoro and Yuzuha have a baby and Oboro raises her after Yuzuha dies; also, some unnamed NPCs abandon a baby at the main characters' doorstep, and Ulthury names her Fumirul and raises her.

(Note that none of what I'm saying is true about the 2015 adaption of MoD, The False Faces, which changed quite a bit and is bad)

7. KlausRealta

KlausRealta Well-Known Member

Oh, I bought both Mask of Deception and Mask of Truth already. Just haven't popped them into my Vita yet.

I'll probably check out the fan translation of the VN or the anime if there isn't any signs of this by the end of the year. I've just heard that Mask of Truth is much better if you've played the first game so I'll hold off for now.

8. Minneyar

Minneyar New Member

You know, after watching the anime twice and playing through both the original PC game and the PS4 remake, I almost feel like the anime is actually the better way to experience the story. While it loses a little bit of the character development from the games and the ending is a little rushed, the actual gameplay is so simple and easy that it feels like a bit of a chore. That's especially true if you're trying to platinum the game, since you have to kill every enemy on every stage to make sure you're getting all of the drops... (but don't get me wrong, I'd still love to have a translation of the PS4 remake, especially if it's as well-written as the Mask games)

9. Takegami

Takegami New Member

If Atlus doesn't localize Zan along with the Utawarerumono remake, i hope Xseed pick them up, even if only in digital format! instant buy to me and my friends!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  10. Shining

Shining New Member

i second that, although i wish Atlus do pick them up because the chances of Xseed localizing them are pretty thin

11. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

Still haven't played MoD or MoT, but bough tthe launch editions after finding them on deeeep discount at a local GameStop. Wanted to watch the anime before jumping in, just currently backlogged. However, I hear great things so the more brought over here the better!

12. Takegami

Takegami New Member

yes, the best thing about the games is that the story takes its time to build up so you see a lot of characters interactions, comedy and development.