The Fantastic Happy Time Msd Bar

Discussion in 'Online Refugees' started by MainCharacter, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

Yeah, same, I'm always around, just haven't had much to say. Plus I tend to read these in the mornings when I'm like dead.

2. SilentThisSide199x

SilentThisSide199x Well-Known Member

I’m ostensibly here.

Also I can’t remember when someone explained this to me but why does this site get marked as insecure on safari iOS

3. SilentThisSide199x

I mean more that it usually got marked that on my desktop browser as well I remember, not sure if it still does

4. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

It's because it doesn't use HTTPS, so traffic to and from the site isn't encrypted. Which is bad and they really should have done something about it many moons ago.

If you're using a password on here that you use for other services, I highly recommend changing it.

5. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

This place is still using the leftover website of AO, so I'm not surprised it's bad. Last time I was here I read the summary of AO history I put in the first post years ago and it was really nostalgic remembering how frequent the errors were. Not being able to login and so on. It's also really weird to remember there was a time when I was checking this place all day every day. It's both hard to believe and very easy to believe that it was ten years ago. Practically another life for me, it feels like.

saldite and Scyth like this.
  6. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

I'm constantly shellshocked by how time works. I have a bad enough sense of time as is, but every so often I'll be reminded that time is fake and nothing I thought I knew chronologically was real.

7. SilentThisSide199x

What do you mean? Events happen out of order or the way we perceive it isn't actually how it occurs like how we can't see atoms but there's trillions+ all around us?

8. AmericanPsycho

AmericanPsycho Well-Known Member

I lost my tab for AO and forgot to bring it up again for my usual checking whenever I have my browser open

Oops

To be honest, I kinda miss it. The rest of the internet evolving to be more fast paced and personal, while we just kinda sat there in our antiquated social platform, family-ing it up

9. saldite

saldite Most Incrediblest

time slippin too fast, yo.

i mentioned this prior to the discord but in general i tend to do forums better for discussing things than live chat. i've somewhat acclimated due to a variety of reasons but i kind of miss old, tightly-knit forums where people were actually a defined community over common interests instead of just like "TWITTER" "TUMBLR" "REDDIT" "4CHAN" "DISCORD" and then basically nothing else. the idea that you could talk to strangers via handles in message boards for megaman or something and actually get to know them and stuff was fucking novel for the internet. now it's just like a thing, and everyone is real with some weird irl drama mixed in with internet drama. everyone posts on the internet like everywhere is social media (not in the exact literal sense of the term, more in a the modern generalized sense) and everything feels so homogenized. the past two sentences don't quite express what i want to say at all but it feels like a very different kind of garden to tend to, and it's not just because i'm an old man who likes old man things and i want those fucking kids to stay out of my goddamn yard.

10. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

Wait, you own the internet?

saldite and Scyth like this.
  11. saldite

yes, due to me naming my septic tank "the internet" because it, too, is endlessly filled with shit

Scyth and Ammy175 like this.
  12. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I entirely agree because I think it's totally viable and doable to still have close-knit communities and the technology platform it's on doesn't really matter.

That being said, I do think the overall internet culture has shifted to everything being a bit too personal in my opinion. I don't want to share every moment of my life and I don't want to hear or see every moment of anyone's life either. I know the rule of thumb in writing is "showing not telling," but for internet lives, I think it should kind of be the opposite. There been an increasing amount of development and importance placed on parasocial relationships where one side is doing a lot of showing, and not enough on interpersonal relationships where two people do a lot of telling. And the increasing reliance on these one-sided relationships seem to be a crutch for actually developing social skills and getting to know people in healthy ways.

I started writing more but I didn't feel like going on a whole (longer) tirade about social media here.

saldite likes this.
  13. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

I understand what both of you mean. But if you think about it we never really used forums the normal way here. We had topics that were normal, like a Zelda topic or a counting game. But we only really got to know each other via a thread that we treated like a chatroom or social media. I just still preferred that method of communication because you couldn't miss anything and you could think about what you were posting a bit more. Conversations could last days, things moved slower sometimes. Sometimes it didn't, though.

Scyth and saldite like this.
  14. saldite

i don't fully disagree but admitting that would mean i'm wrong no u

Scyth likes this.
  15. Ammy175

Hey there, epic gamers. Do I bite the bullet and go with Windows 10 for my next compy, or see if I can get another copy of 7 relatively easily like I did with this one?

16. saldite

The hot take would be to go with Linux, but I'd be lying to you if I told you that doing so was a perfect experience yet or that Proton didn't require any finagling (it mostly doesn't but that's besides the point). At this point, it's better to just go for W10 unless you plan on keeping W7 a legacy install offline or something (ala similar to what people do with Win98 machines for really old PC vidya). 2020 7 is dead, unfortunately. I have a fucking laundry list of complaints over 10, but you're better off going with it since 7 is out the door and MS basically has said poo-poo to Windows 8.1 in terms of support.

Scyth likes this.
  17. Ammy175

Who uses 8.1, though?

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks, though.

18. saldite

i would if microsoft and companies at large actually supported it

Yeah, it's not that bad. It's more bad if you're like me and you're paranoid and/or fucking hate having to manage it while microsoft does stupid shit that contradicts your management GPOs etc. On top of that, some of the more recently big updates have broken things on occasion (1809 was such a dumpster fire i don't even think it was pushed out publicly without forcing an update until like three months after its release; on top of that a lot of rpgmaker games were broken at an OS level that didn't get fixed until 1903).

For the most part, windows 10 is "okay". I just wish it didn't do that creepy spying shit or wonky forced updates on a consumer level or tying up shit that use to be easy to change in pro only to enterprise level ala removing the store without breaking other things.

19. Ammy175

See, it's this kind of shit I'm concerned about. :/ Especially the former, since "yo-ho, yo-ho, near the hooks I'll never go" and all that.

The other thing is that I'll have to double check and make sure all the music stuff I wanna do works with 10, but I would kind of hope everything important works with it now.

20. saldite

There are a few tools/hosts lists you can use to disable most of that, esp if you're using a Pro or Enterprise install of some kind. What tool does what seems to change almost monthly but if you turn off everything in the privacy settings and use one of those to fully remove the store and block MS communications, you should be mostly alright.

otherwise, keep a hardened linux install for anything illicit you might be doing

i guess it all depends on how paranoid of the botnet (meme kind, not literal kind) you are and what you're willing to give up to achieve that level of privacy. i'm at the point where i just use 10 Pro with privacy settings changed and a few GPO edits and i call it good

you could also look into setting up an LTSB/LTSC install since that has most of the bloat gone and is an enterprise base so you can disable more things to harden further. i use to do that, but you'll probably have to pirate it and use a KMS activator to do so since LTSB/C isn't available to normal customers because microsoft hates you