Support for GOG Cloud Saves

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Denden, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Denden

Denden New Member

Over the past few years I've been getting several XSEED titles through Steam, in particular various Falcom games. However, Steam has a few big downsides, to me the most important one being your expensive purchases being gone in case Steam ever quits business. Realising these downsides made me look for other platforms to buy my games on.

Some games are also available on consoles, but more often than not the PC versions are superior. Let alone games that are simply only released on PC. That's why I'm going to focus on PC releases in this post.

At some point I found out about GOG and was glad to see most XSEED releases also being available there. I really love that GOG makes you able to actually 'keep' any games you bought. That said, GOG also had a downside; they did not have a cloud saving feature such as Steam has. Cloud saves are really convenient for real-time backups of your saves and also makes it easy to switch from one PC to another without feeling any discontinuity.

Recently, GOG finally introduced a cloud saving feature in their Galaxy desktop client. Whilst I think it's great to hear about GOG doing this, there's very few developers actually supporting cloud saves with their games. So to get back to the main point: can we expect XSEED to support this GOG cloud saves feature?

It feels a bit awkward to have my first post here be a feature begging one, but I hope you'll forgive me. ;)

2. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

I know for certain that we plan to include GOG Galaxy support in most, if not all, future PC releases, though I don't know the details on how far that support will extend, nor which games exactly will have it. I *think* it'll include cloud support, though, and I think it's... all of our upcoming games that will support it. I think.

Definitely out of the loop on the technical side of things, though (I've always been a "back up my saves and take them with me on a USB memory stick just to be safe" kind of person, so cloud-saving has never personally been important to me as a gamer), so again, I can't guarantee anything. But we are at least well aware of GOG Galaxy, and we will be supporting it as often as possible moving forward.

-Tom

3. Denden

Denden New Member

Thanks for getting back so quickly! Are you also able to comment on support for older games?

Do you know if is difficult to implement GOG cloud support? Or is it 'just' pointing the GOG client to the right folder?

4. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

No clue, I'm afraid. In answer to both of your questions. But your desire to see full GOG Galaxy support for our games, new and old, is duly noted and will be passed along!

-Tom