Lux-Pain - New Translation Release For 3Ds

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Qualar, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Qualar

Qualar New Member

Back in 2009 there was an excellent game released for the Nintendo DS by the name of "Lux-Pain". The developers for this game was Killaware, but they have now been out of business since 2011. The more important aspect is that the Japanese publisher for this game was Marvelous Entertainment, Inc, and seems they even handled the sub-licensing of this game to other parts other world.

Lux-Pain was a visual novel, set in a modern day Japan that had a sci-fi horror twist and a dark gritty story. The game was really excellent, but the North American licensor for the game, UTV's Ignition Entertainment, had all of the translation work handled by the parent company's India office. Now if you've ever had to phone in to tech support for a device and been to subjected to satellite phone routing to a call center in India, you can probably imagine why having a group of folks in India attempt to translate a text heavy Japanese VN-type game into English is a really really really idiotic idea. Needless to say, the translation turned out to be every bit as bad as you, dear reader, are now imagining it was. The incredible thing though is that as horrible as the translation was, especially mid-game onward, that the story compelled the player to continue on inspite of it all. To say just how good this game was, I rank it among my top ten DS games, along with the likes of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney games and Phantasy Star 0. Poor translation work of the licensor aside, the rest of the game was a very high quality production.

A remarkable thing about Lux-Pain is that it launched as a budget priced, $19.99, title. Considering how terrible the translation was that price wouldn't seem be to unusual, but the game came in a slip-covered case with artbook, and that made the launch price point very unusual.

Ignitions Entertainment's official U.S. trailer for Lux-Pain:
    https://youtu.be/scJRthM6kDM

Suggestion I'm getting at here is that if a new translation of the game was done, maybe some graphical enhancements to take advantage of the 3DS hardware, it would be something I'd want to buy.... on a cartridge. Or if not that, then a sequel would be nice. ;)

[​IMG]

2. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

Does a 3DS version already exist?

It sounds like it doesn't, and so one would need to exist before such an idea could happen.

3. Qualar

Qualar New Member

No, a 3DS version does not exist. That's why I'm suggesting they make one. ;)

4. Ammy175

Um... Is "they" XSEED? I meant to say that it needs to exist in Japan, because XSEED can't do programming (outside of PC stuff).

5. Captain Falcon

Captain Falcon Well-Known Member

XSEED is solely a publisher; they do no programming of any sort (edit: they do the PC stuff themselves?). Even with localization, my understanding is that they send of the English text to the original developer to code in.

Although, a new translation for that game would be nice. It was really good, and I too plowed through the shite translation. You noticed in the parts that had voice acting that the voices didn't match the text, which was for the better, as I thought the game actually had good VA work for those few parts that had it.

6. Ammy175

^They have Sara for PC stuff, so I guess it's not entirely accurate to say that they do it themselves.

7. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

Sara is contracted, she's not an XSEED employee.