Lord Of Magna: Maiden Heaven Officially Coming West

Discussion in 'Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven' started by Augen76, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Augen76

Augen76 New Member

No exact release date, but window of Spring 2015 announced, here's a nice press release from XSeed.

-------------------

Sometimes one’s path is chosen by fate. Luchs is one such soul, whose peaceful innkeeping days were numbered once he discovered a bracelet known as “Lachryma.” Suddenly accosted by strange fiends, he’s saved by a mysterious faerie encased in crystal whose memories are spotty at best. Luchs decides to help her recover these memories and, in doing so, encounters numerous other faeries just like her, each wielding unique powers and remembering a little more about their storied pasts as the entourage grows.

Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven boasts a unique strategic battle system which encourages players to aim their attacks just right in order to “bowl” over as many enemies as possible with a single strike. Players can also turn the tide of battle by crafting new skills with unique items obtainable through StreetPass registration and participation in Free Battles. With adjustable difficulty levels during gameplay and a fast-forward feature to help speed through cutscenes for battle-hungry players, the customizable experience on offer here promises to leave lasting memories, complemented by in-game movie and art galleries that allow players to review key dramatic moments at will.

This title will launch in the spring, and has been rated “T” for Teen by the ESRB. More information will be shared in the coming weeks.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2015/02/lord-magna-maiden-heaven-coming-north-america-spring#epU5kRMODVeIU0oJ.99

-------------------------------------

[​IMG]

This was #1 of 4 secret titles in the image XSeed release a while back. Hoping means news for other titles is not too far off.

2. Augen76

Augen76 New Member

Whoops! Appears Wydward beat me by 3 minutes on this news. Sorry for duplicate thread.

3. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

Hey, yours has way more info. I say we keep it! ;)

-Tom

4. Augen76

Augen76 New Member

Thank you. Very nice of you.

Here is the image of the 4 games

[​IMG]

Hoping maybe a game a month gets a release window...

5. KamenRiderKnight

KamenRiderKnight New Member

Great news to be greeted with.

Spring 2015's pretty close even if it is just a placeholder season that's bound to change. Still, I was expecting Summer 2015 for a placeholder season but then again Lord of Magna isn't that huge of a game compared to RF4 so I imagine that'd be one of the reasons.

I have a few questions if you can answer them Tom ::

1) How much English voice acting is there here compared to the original?

2) Without spoiling anything, did you have any particular thoughts/impressions on the game's overall atmosphere? I mean atmosphere in terms of visual environment and story; namely compared to RF4.

3) Do you have any particular comments/thoughts on the characters?

Thanks.

6. Wyrdwad

Er... what do you mean? Are you asking if we left any of it undubbed? I know other localization studios have done that in the past, but we never have and (knock on wood to be safe) never will. When we dub, we dub whole games -- so in Lord of Magna, every line of voiced dialogue from the Japanese has been recorded in English.

I wouldn't compare it with RF4, honestly. It may be the same development team, but the design philosophy was very different here -- this is a straight up story-driven strategy RPG, with equal parts story and combat. There aren't really any life sim elements this time around, though you do occasionally get to wander the inn and talk to people, and there are crucial decision points that determine which of the girls you wind up pursuing.

If you're looking for Rune Factory-style depth, though, this game probably isn't for you. It's a much more straightforward experience: battle, story, battle, story. The battles are fun, though, and the story is charming -- and presentation-wise, the game couldn't be any more polished (it looks amazing and the soundtrack is absolutely ace!) -- so it's still very much good stuff.

But definitely don't go into it with RF4 in mind, or you might come out disappointed. This is not a Rune Factory game in any way. It is very much its own thing.

Well, I've been busy with other XSEED titles, so I have yet to actually finish Magna -- but the characters I've met have all been really cute and likable, with a lot of "awww!" moments. It's a very sweet, happy game overall (though I hear it gets pretty dark toward the end!).

-Tom

7. KamenRiderKnight

KamenRiderKnight New Member

Ah, okay. Thanks.

I've played Lord of Magna in Japanese already so I get what you're saying. It wasn't a deep RF4 time sinker and it was a pretty short game but I thought it was really fun.

Yeah, I found it more story driven than RF4 and I felt like it covered much darker topics when it came to the story. Xenophobia being one of them when it came to the main town (I won't say anything more to avoid spoilers but this was info unveiled when Famitsu was promoting the game involving one of the NPCs).

I did like the crucial decision points in the game though. It not only affected which girl you'd go for in the ending but it also reflects on who you'd want to regular in your team the most.

I agree with you on the music. It's nothing overly stellar but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Kaiser and Gewalt's theme are some of my favorites.

As for the lack of sim elements, somebody who did an indepth review of Lord of Magna (JP) noticed a lot of oddities in-game. Like the billboard in the town's main plaza / main hall of the inn and the pier like area in the place where the farm spotpass is used. It led to some speculation that some content (perhaps some more sim elements) may have been cut during the alpha and beta stages due to Neverland's bankruptcy. The first Famitsu unveil of the game from last year also showed screenshots which made it seem like the town could be explore-able outside of battle but that didn't end up being the case.

The final chapters in the game were a total roller coaster ride but I found some of the romantic scenes towards the end (depending on who you chose to pursue) sweet. Somebody best described it somewhere on Siliconera but what I liked about the romance was it was subtle in most JRPGs but not too subtle i.e. you could tell there was some sort of romantic chemistry going on between Luchs and whichever spirit/faerie without making it overly obvious or overly forced.
    All in all, I'm looking forward to its western release and this is defintely on my to buy list for when it comes out.

And thanks again for answering, Tom.

8. FirionHope

FirionHope New Member

That's awesome at least then. Makes up for the lack of jp dub to an extent.

I'm also really glad to hear that. For some reason I figured it would be like Persona where it wouldn't matter and you could romance them all at once or something. It's nice to know it changes the story, even slightly. And that there's actual romance rather than vague hints of it.

How's the difficulty? I don't really like SRPGs so can I just slap it on easy to get by and see the story bits?

9. NinjaPokeball

NinjaPokeball New Member

Thanks to xseed bringing this game over. I have some questions will be great if can answer.

1) can u rename the mc?

2) does he have any dialogue; if he voiced at all or very much? I like mcs to be malleable like mcs in Atlus games

3) are all the spirit female characters romanceable? Can mc romance multiple at same time? Will they get jealous? Like is this sim part of the game dynamic?

4) why are they called maidens? Are they humans or nonhumans?

5) are there multiple endings!

6) did xseed censor anything out? Like swimsuit costumes?

7) does this have eng dub? I prefer eng dub games strongly

8) will there be limited edition?

9) dear Tom, did you play this game on regular on xl 3ds? On latter, do the dialogue sprites look extremely blurry and pixellated? Rf4 sprites looked pretty bad on xl screens tbh....

10. FirionHope

FirionHope New Member

They said it'd be dub only, so yes.

11. Wyrdwad

I don't think so. His name is Luchs Eduard, and that's how the other characters address him. You might be able to change his name, but it won't change how he's addressed in the story to my knowledge.

This may not be the game for you, then, because he DOES have dialogue, and quite a bit -- and he's voiced as much as anyone else (not full voicing, but a sizable number of his lines are voiced). He is not a "malleable" character, but a set protagonist.

Not all of them, no -- the relationships you have with these characters are all very story-based, so some characters really aren't romance options because it wouldn't make much sense for them to be.

There is also no jealousy system, though you can certainly pursue multiple people at once. The "sim" aspect is very minimal, however.

The title is a pun on "maid in heaven," "made in heaven," or "maid inn (heaven)." Maid outfits play a big role in the plot, as does the inn, and all the characters are humanoid "faeries," but they are all most assuredly maidens as well. ;)

There is only one main ending, to my knowledge, though I have to admit I haven't beaten the game myself just yet -- I've been working on other XSEED titles, so my time with this one has been a lot shorter than I'd like it to be.

Nothing whatsoever has been censored in any way.

English dub only, in fact! We weren't able to secure the Japanese voice-acting, sadly.

If there will be one, we'll announce it when we announce the release date. Unless and until that occurs, I can't actually answer this question -- sorry!

I'm the wrong person to ask, as I feel like every 3DS game I've ever played, including Rune Factory 4, looks a million percent better on a 3DS XL. I honestly can't stand the original 3DS anymore -- it's XL for me or bust. ;)

-Tom

12. NinjaPokeball

NinjaPokeball New Member

thanks once again tom.

I need you to really clarify this: can the MC Luchs be renamed? Or can he NOT?

Well, let me rephrase, can all the faeries characters be romanced, or not?

There is one ending, but I heard there is separate ending depending on which faerie you end up with?

Bonus question: how meaty do you think the voiced dialogue are? Are they just grunts like "ha, oh, mhmm, okay! ahhhhhh, etc" like in Fire Emblem Awakening? Or do they actually have fully voiced lines?

2nd bonus sincere question: I've been meaning to get into Senran Kagura series, but there is actual MC right? No romance at all in the games?

13. guntel

guntel New Member

Say is there a plan for limited edition with artbook and ost by any chance? And do you plan to release the game with 2 language option? I really hope the japanese voice will be made available as option.

14. JapanFan85

JapanFan85 New Member

Hey Tom. I have a few questions of my own.

1. Is the Fan Service(partial Nudity) mainly limited to one Bath Sequence?

2. Is there a happy ending? Or is it a depressing ambiguous one like the Little King's Story ending(I HATED that one)?

15. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

The Japanese audio question has already been answered (no, it won't be in the game).

16. tilinelson2

tilinelson2 Active Member

Yay, finally one 3DS game I am interested in, like, a year and a half.

17. FirionHope

FirionHope New Member

Oooh bath sequences yay!

Yeah I'm pretty much the same. Or the only one that's looked interesting enough to me to actually consider buying near release.

18. Wyrdwad

I just checked with Brittany on this, and it turns out he CAN be renamed, and in fact we've expanded the length of the naming field for the English version from 6 to 10 characters.

Not "romanced," per se, but each faerie does have a "route" you can pursue -- it's just that for some of the faeries, this route isn't romance-based, but rather forming a deep friendship or an almost fatherly bond instead.

Sort of. Some of the dialogue in the ending changes, but the ending is mostly the same. The girl you pursue mostly has an effect on battle combinations.

They have fully-voiced lines, though it's only for specific conversations here and there -- not every line is voiced.

There is no single main character in the Senran Kagura games, no. Instead, you choose which school you want to play as, and all five of the shinobi students from that school (plus one unlockable or DLC character, in some cases) become the main characterS of the story, with a different character or combination of characters taking center stage in each cutscene.

And I'm afraid there really isn't a whole lot of romance in Senran Kagura. Romance is mentioned in passing here and there, but none of the main cast ever really gets romantically involved. These games are about friendship, justice and growing up, definitely not about romance.

Almost exclusively, yeah -- unless you really, really like maid outfits, anyway. ;)

That one bath scene is pretty conspicuous, too, as the fanservice is actually pretty heavy in it, while the rest of the game is quite tame.

Do you really want me to spoil the ending?! The game's plot has its ups and downs, with lots of sad and happy moments alike, and the ending is no exception. All I'll say is, it's not a Key/VA "everybody died in misery" ending, nor is it 100% roses and sunshine. It's somewhere in the middle. ;)

-Tom

19. Hatsuu

Hatsuu XSEED admin

Tom may not know this but here's an interesting bit that's never been done in any of our previous games. The game has as many lines as the Japanese, save for one from an NPC that was unfortunately missed (Schamoni--Chamonix for the English version--says "Kakkoi!/You were so cool!" out loud in one cutscene and I unfortunately missed that line when recording). But you know how the game is presented for 99% of it's voice-acting, right? It's not fully dubbed, but the same as the Japanese where there'll be a full line of text but the character will audibly laugh or say something like, "Yeah!" or "Okay!"

We normally don't have any control over where those are used at all, but for LoM, we actually did. So I played through the game many times and tried to custom-tailor those one-off lines where I could instead of matching the Japanese exactly. That way you don't have a circumstance where a character is telling you, "Yeah, that's exactly how we wanted it" while their voiced line is randomly saying "No." It's not necessarily the fault of the localizer when those things happen, either. That can happen when that one "No" line is used all over the place in the Japanese in ways that make sense in the Japanese version, but not in English. You can't normally make it work in English in every single one of the same circumstances as the Japanese because Japanese and English are structured so differently.

Anyway, you'll basically be getting the same amount of voiced dialogue and the same amount of variety, just that they'll be used in ways more suitable to the English. I was really happy that the team allowed me to try that for LoM.

20. Tsuiokuhen

Tsuiokuhen New Member

How much text is in Lord of Magna anyway, compared other 3DS titles (e.g. RF4, Story of Seasons)? Don't need to know any specific numbers, but an idea would be nice.