Localization Question

Discussion in 'Fate/EXTELLA' started by MainCharacter, Jun 22, 2016.

1. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

Not sure if you'd be able to answer this question yet or not but as a long-time fan of the Fate franchise and Type-Moon in general I'm curious how certain terms will be localized. Ever since the fan translation there have been widely accepted English versions for the terminology of the Fate series. As far as official Western releases go, though, things have been different depending on who is localizing the title.

For example, some of the anime adaptations have used the same terminology as the fan translations while Aksys' localization of Fate/Extra have their own different translation (Legendary Soul vs Heroic Spirit, for example). Since this is technically a spin-off of the Extra games, do you feel a desire to keep the translation consistent with the Extra translation that Aksys did, do you want to bring it closer to the anime translations and fan translations, or will you be using another new set of terminology specifically for XSEED's version?

For some reason this matters to me, even though I'd be fine with any of those answers (Heroic Spirit is objectively better than Legendary Soul, though).

2. Torgo

Torgo XSEED admin

Hi! I'm Ryan, one of the editors on Fate/Extella. As you might guess, it's a bit of a tightrope act localizing Fate text, being mindful of all the pre-existing lore and the various translations thereof. Our English script for Extella is a work in progress at this point, but it incorporates English terms from a variety of sources, including the anime, the fan community, and certain elements of the Aksys Fate/Extra script. Extella also introduces several new terms to the lexicon, so we're collaborating to build a glossary of those terms as we go. We'll do our best to check in and answer questions along the way (insofar as we're allowed to; a lot about Extella is still under wraps at this point), and we may even have a few questions for you guys while we're at it.

In answer to your question, you'll be happy to hear that the script does use "Heroic Spirit." :)

Yuri likes this.
  3. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

Thank you for answering! A mixture of all of them is a fun answer at that. I'm looking forward to seeing how everything turns out when the game is released. Hopefully building this glossary of terms pays off when it gets used in future Fate releases~ (can't blame me for trying)

Also very relieved to hear that the script used Heroic Spirit.

4. flarecde

flarecde Member

Me too, I like that term better than "Legendary Soul."

5. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

Yep. Aksys' reason for changing it (not all the Servants are "heroic") kind of made it clear they didn't really look too deep into it because there's a reason it's like that despite the name. Well, I suppose it worked within the context of just Fate/Extra, though. Still just think Heroic Spirit sounds better regardless.

Now I'm curious about things like "Noble Phantasm" and "Reality Marble" and the like. I doubt it but if Tsukihime stuff gets brought up (it did in Extra slightly) then that also opens up a new can of worms for all the different type of "vampires".

6. Captain Falcon

Captain Falcon Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, Fate/Grand Order calls them (in English) Noble Phantasms, so even though I've never even seen them referred to as anything else to begin with, if a Japanese only game calls them as such, then I have to think that's about as official as you get.

Just one term, I know, but I figured I'd mention it.

7. ddd-kun

ddd-kun New Member

You'll see the term "Hougu/ほうぐ/宝具" used in a few LN with variation and sometimes different Kanji—something typical to the genre (and later made fun of in several "chuuni"-heavy titles). I know it was very prominent in Shakugan no Shana, given the main character was actually walking about with a Hougu, or "treasure tool" (lit 'treasure' & 'tool') in his abdomen.

From what I remember of too many hours doing too much watching/reading, anyway.

8. saloz94

saloz94 New Member

well since this is about localization. why does this game have no dub?

9. flarecde

flarecde Member

Best guess is VA is expensive, and this game is somewhat niche.

10. Leon Tekashi

Leon Tekashi Active Member

Pretty much. Sometimes, XSEED has the funds for an English dub, sometimes they don't, especially for niche titles.