Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star PS4/Vita

Discussion in 'Fate/EXTELLA' started by VongolaGearX, Jun 22, 2016.

1. VongolaGearX

VongolaGearX Member

[​IMG]
    "Expanding upon the extensive and much-beloved Fate universe with a standalone story from acclaimed series writer Kinoko Nasu (of Fate/stay night fame), Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star, developed by Marvelous Inc., transpires on the new world of Extella through a diverse cast of “Servants” ? ancient warriors of legend and imagination, always at their Masters’ orders ? who survived the Holy Grail War that took place on the Moon. In a future ruled by the all-powerful lunar super computer Moon Cell Automaton, these champions now duke it out for dominance over this digital realm, known as “SE.RA.PH.” This story takes place after the events described in Fate/EXTRA, and depicts the world after that previous Holy Grail War. Players will experience the story from the independent perspectives of the three heroine Servants and face off against foes from a variety of Fate productions, including characters from Fate/stay night, Fate/Apocrypha and Fate/Grand Order, in fast-paced action. A new form change battle mechanic debuts in this entry to match its series-first gameplay style, transforming the player-controlled Servants and granting them considerable powers that allow them to devastate enemies and take formidable challenges head-on."

*confirmed physical release for both Ps4/Vita
    *japanese voices only
    1st english trailer:

2. Yuri

Yuri Well-Known Member

I'm so excited. Nero's my most favorite character in the whole Fate series so I'm really happy she's getting more games and an anime.

[​IMG]

Banjamin likes this.
  3. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

I should probably get through all the anime this summer >_> That's been on my backlog for a while... Then get into the games, starting with Extra. I still have my DD copy of Codes, too :p

4. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

If you have an interest in Fate, I highly recommend starting with the original Visual Novel, Fate/stay night. It's unfortunately never been officially localized in any way but the original PC release does have a well known fan translation. It's three routes long and definitely the best starting point for the franchise. If, however, you don't want to get into any VNs, the best way to do anime only is to start with Fate/Zero and then go on to the recent Unlimited Blade Works anime by the same company. The old 2006 anime and the UBW movie should both be ignored.

Honestly though Extra (and presumably by extension Extella) doesn't really require knowledge of the original stuff. It's set in it's own alternate universe that does it's own thing. There are references to the main universe but they don't matter much.

5. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

I sure wish that the VN was able to get an official translation, but beside from Melty Blood, Type-Moon is hard to work with/expensive/some reason that made it hard to get a real translation. I might one day, but I have the anime on hand (blind bought too) and will most likely still go through in chronological order, cause I'm crazy. I do hear that the original anime was pretty bad, as you said, and yet back when they came out they seemed to be a big deal at the time. I guess Ufotable raised the bar since then, though :p

Nice to know that the games are separate instead of a different game route. From the little I know of the series, it feels like each route of the story is completely different in style and everything, rather than just a short branch off the main story. Guess I'll have to jump in and see when I can!

6. Augen2

Augen2 New Member

Game looks great, look forward to seeing more of it.

7. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

I think a lot of it has to do with timing too. Fate/stay night was released in 2004 and back then big budget Visual Novels didn't really get official releases. It's original release also had a few "adult" scenes. Later releases on the PS2, Vita, and then again on the PC got rid of those scenes but still never got official releases. I thought for sure the Vita versions had a chance since Aksys did Extra but it didn't work out in the end. Maybe one day we'll get a PS4 port and have a chance again.

As for the old 2006 anime, it was always bad. It was popular at the time but I think mostly with people who hadn't read the Visual Novel. At the very least, ufotable has definitely completely replaced any need to watch them. In fact, I'd say it's a bad idea to watch the 2006 anime by DEEN because it ruins and spoils scenes from routes other than the Fate route that then get properly adapted in the ufotable stuff.

8. VongolaGearX

VongolaGearX Member

i hope there are more playable characters(even dlc). i want mordred and brynhildr to be added (though this comes from Fate/Grand order since their my best servents)

9. DarkFusion

DarkFusion Member

So do I need to have played Extra and CCC to get the story in this?

10. Ryos

Ryos Active Member

Doubt the plot has any relation at all to the PSP Fate games.

11. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

I mean, it's set in the same world as them and has mostly characters from them. Hopefully the story isn't set-up in a way that requires them though considering we never got CCC.

If anything, it'll probably be set-up like a new "route" of that story, where things happen differently. Or is set after a previously unseen route where a mixture of things from all previous routes happened. Either way, at the very least having some sort of context from the Extra games would help understand the characters. I doubt they are going to go over every single thing we learned about them in a game like this.

12. Yuri

Yuri Well-Known Member

Actually, the game continues the story after the events of Extra IIRC. I don't think you have to play CCC, though.

You probably would get the story even if you know nothing about Fate, but you will miss out on references and other fun stuff.

13. ddd-kun

ddd-kun New Member

I'm all in. Been in Type-Moon longer than I care to remember I am an ancient being, and this actually combines two of my favorite types of things: Tamamo and Musou style beatemups.

Though this does mean I should pull out stops and try to get through my copy of CCC. It'd be certainly nice to have that in English, though. I wonder if Marv or XSEED have ideas to port that to PC? What with the PSP being a proud but posthumous machine and projections for handhelds not at their best, I think that'd be quite a lovely gift.

Also, gotta wonder who else is in this. I'd friggin kill for a chance to play w/Diarmuid. Dual-wielding at its best. Him & Robin Hood. Those would be my top 3 picks.

14. Leon Tekashi

Leon Tekashi Active Member

I'm going to be blunt. The fact that this game looks a lot more fast paced than Senran Kagura and it's Marvelous themselves developing this, it goes to show you that Tamsoft needs to improve on the gameplay.

15. saloz94

saloz94 New Member

Sorry cant agree. I would call the 2006 anime far from bad and yes iv seen FSZ. most people who seem to hate it are hardcore VN FSN readers. Also utfotable hasint really replaced a reason to watch it cause end of the day they still havent done the saber route and from what im reading never will. which is odd since that seems to be the one future type moon stuff seems to stick closely to more. Also with saber basically being the face of the series and probably the most popular character you would think they would do it again.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  16. ddd-kun

ddd-kun New Member

The FSN 2005/06 rendition has always been a point of contention and said contention is justifiable. I personally still enjoy it, but I won't be so dishonest as to say that Studio DEEN took a great deal of creative royalty with the plot and even mechanics of the series. Again, some of those liberties turned out to be very fun (to a point where even Nasu incorporated some of those aspects into his canon), but they are liberties.

Though while I can still defend some of the point turns of the 2005/06 TV series, the theatrical release of Unlimited Blade Works is a different kettle of rotten tea entirely. In that respect, you're flat-out better off reading the Visual Novel, or watching the ufotable version. It's a bad movie and a bad representation of the canon.

Yuri likes this.
  17. OtakuDaiKun

OtakuDaiKun New Member

I just wanted to say how absolutely thrilled I am that you guys are localizing this. The chance to beat em up with Artoria is a dream come true. From a sheer fanservice perspective, this could wind up being one of my favorite games of all time. Thank you XSEED^^ Also, I'm super hyped for Ys Lacrimosa of Dana for PS4, and want you guys to know I'll be all over it if and when you bring it over, so please don't leave us in the dark.

18. Dgbowen

Dgbowen Member

Any RPG elements? Or is it just a hack n slash?

19. mooncraft

mooncraft New Member

I'm so excited!

20. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

Preordered this morning!