Fate/EXTELLA is coming to the Switch in July

Discussion in 'Fate/EXTELLA' started by Battlechili, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Renari

Renari New Member

Fate is a series about Holy Grail Wars and the summoning of servants to have a wish fulfilled. However Fate/Extella is a spinoff of that which originates from a PSP game called Fate/Extra. Servants are summoned by masters and they serve them by fighting to win the Holy Grail War. This isn't how the plot of Fate/Extella works but that's the original concept. Each servant is usually a historical or mythological person of some kind. Basically someone that is remembered by the masses, they can be fictional (e.g. in theory Zeus could be summoned). Masters are given command seals which they can use to control their servant, they are given 3 absolute orders which can be given to them (Fate/Extella gives you these back every map). However the strength of the command is based upon how specific the command is, something vague like "always do exactly what I tell you to" doesn't have much value and would just be an annoyance for most servants, they would be able to resist the command. Each servant hides their identity since if the enemy finds out who they are, they could research their weakness, how they died, etc which puts them at quite the disadvantage. As such servants are usually referred to by the class they are summoned into (Saber, Archer, Lancer, Caster, Rider, Assassin, Berserker). In some cases servants don't even trust their master with their true identity. Each servant has a Noble Phantasm, think of it as their strongest attack, however they are reluctant to use it since most of these attacks are unique, meaning if they use them and do not kill their target or someone else sees, then one could track them down and discover their identity.

That's the gist of Fate, not all Fate/Extella related however.

2. garion333

garion333 New Member

Thanks for the rundown, but nowhere in there was there anything about why I should play this game. ;)

I've got a Switch now, so there's a good chance I'll end up picking it up there since it comes with the DLC, etc., but perhaps I should go watch part of the anime or something like that beforehand.

3. joakkar

joakkar Member

Again, the game is a stand-alone title so the most you'll get from watching the anime (either the original stay night, fate zero or unlimited bladeworks, since carnival phantasm and fate kaleid are unrelated spinoffs) is to get aqcuainted with about half of extella's cast of characters. If anything, you could wait for the adaptation of fate/Extra which will air sometime this year but even that is only sort of a prequel.

4. Wargamer

Wargamer Member

So the PC version is coming out the same day as the Switch version but without free DLC. Can someone explain how did that happen? I thought XSEED didn't want new buyers to pay for DLC.
    It's also pretty odd to have 2 versions of the same game come out at the same time but not with the same content.

5. BachU8

BachU8 New Member

Indeed. I'd like to have an answer in this matter.

6. Renari

Renari New Member

Agree'd the previous reasoning that a lot of people gave for the switch debacle was that the game was out for multiple months already. However in this case the switch is still being given preferential treatment to another platform that it's being released to on the same day. I very much appreciate the PC port but it doesn't make much sense that they are including the DLC on switch with exclusive content and PC is basically getting the original PS4 release.

7. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

My guess is it's a Marvelous choice. Who knows why, but I think it's just Marvelous not doing a particularly great job figuring this out.

8. Wargamer

Wargamer Member

If I had to take a guess I'd say the Switch port is made by Marvelous so they built in the DLC.
    At the same time XSEED decided to make a PC port but didn't include DLC for some reason.
    Can't wait for the Xbox One X version with even more exclusive DLC.

9. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

Oh, sorry, I didn't see your question here before.

Both versions, Switch and PC alike, were handled by Marvelous. And the DLC situation is something that was dictated from above -- it was a decision we had no choice in. Your guess as to the reason for the disparity between the two versions is as good as mine. We suggested numerous alternatives, and gave ample feedback on the matter, but the final decision was made, and that was that.

Sorry I don't have a better explanation for you than that, but... it is what it is! This is their game, after all, so in the end, what they say goes!

Offering the DLC at a launch discount was the compromise we reached to help even things out a little bit, though. I know it may not be enough for some people, but hopefully, it does make a difference for others!

-Tom

10. Theswweet

Theswweet Active Member

Hey Tom, what ended up being the whole manual situation with Fate/Extella, anyway? I can't help but notice that the Japanese Switch release has one!

Edit: After some searching, it looks like it does! Is it the plan going forward for XSEED's Switch releases to have manuals, then?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  11. Wyrdwad

Probably! Though since this is just game one on the platform for us, only time will tell for sure. ;)

-Tom

12. ChaosAzerothCat

ChaosAzerothCat New Member

This is one of those things that make me wish we looked into games more before buying. Been having lots of bad luck when I do get new games, and now come to find out we could have gotten more content for free had we researched before buying... ((Husband JUST bought the PS4 version.))

I'm definitely never preordering a game after the multiple disappointments with games. It's better to look into them a LOT, heck you might catch them on sale if you wait...

I know this isn't your fault XSeed. Like I know the whole Trio thing wasn't either. I'm just tired. I was excited because 'hey Marvelous made this game too' and now I'm just staring to feel resentment to Marvelous.

13. Wyrdwad

I totally understand. I personally hate DLC, and wish games didn't have it at all. And as a result, I also typically don't bother with DLC in any game, ever -- I just buy the base game, and call it a day.

But I understand that's not an approach everyone is willing to take (especially when DLC adds new gameplay rather than just cosmetic updates, as with Trio of Towns), and I do wish we didn't have to make people pick and choose like that.

-Tom

ChaosAzerothCat likes this.
  14. Wargamer

Wargamer Member

So the game is out and this is the steam page. Might be a good idea to bundle those DLC instead of trying to nickel and dime everything because that list is huge and from what I'm seeing, people don't like it.

[​IMG]

15. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

I mean, that's part of the problem?
    It's coming from higher up, not their decision to make.
    Though how a higher price for all the DLC than the game itself upon launch can look anything but bad I have no idea.

16. Wyrdwad

I don't disagree! But yeah, everything related to the DLC was passed down from above. Not a whole lot we can do, I'm afraid, except pass comments from fans along to the devs -- which we are planning on, as we always do.

-Tom

17. Calros

Calros Administrator

There are bundles for the DLC that are based on the PS Store bundles, but unfortunately they don't show up on the store page (not our choice, I assure you). You have to view the individual DLC page to see any bundles that it is being sold as a part of.

18. Wargamer

Wargamer Member

Oh, you're right, they are packed as bundle if you click on them, hopefully Steam will fix it. (I'm sure they won't)
    So that fix my problem, good luck for the rest.

19. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

Yeah, sometimes I do wonder if those making such decisions ever actually look at what the listings look like on the finished store pages is the point I was sort of making.

20. Clessy

Clessy Member

I love when companies don't get the point. I'm sue there's gonna be spammed hate ratings just because of dlc. But greed.